Friday, 18 March 2011

Spending Ban... Update #1

Day 1 - Tuesday 15th March 2011:

I was literally almost penniless from last week's wages, so didn't have much cash to spare anyway!  On my lunch hour I went to the bank to deposit my wage cheque, and on the way walked passed Peacocks, where I saw a pair of chinos on the rail right by the window - typical!  I had been wanting a pair for several weeks, and was keen to go in for a closer look, however I resisted!  I spent about £4 on fruit, lunch, cold medicine and a stamp.  Mum later said if I liked the chinos she would get them for me as an early birthday present :)

Day 2 -  Wednesday 16th March 2011:

My wages are through!  I kept my usual loan repayment savings in my main account and transferred what I normally consider my "weekly spending money" to my other account.  I spent less than £2 on lunch.  I got the chinos, which mum is reimbursing me for :)  I went to Boots to buy my essential hairspray, as I had none left.  My favourite Schwarzkopf Got2B hairspray was half price, only £2.03 instead of £4.07, and so I bought 2 so that I had plenty of stock!

In the evening I went out for dinner and drinks with friends, as I wasn't able to drink on St. Patrick's Day due to work on Friday.  I paid about £14 for dinner, then £4 towards wine.  I felt bad spending money on dinner but to be fair, I would have spent way more had I been joining in the usual St. Paddy's drinking festivities!  i also saw a great Groupon deal for Belfast - a wash, haircut, finish, massage and scalp treatment for £22.50 instead of £76!  After consulting with Charli I bought a voucher for myself and one for mum (again, she is reimbursing me).  This was an offer that I wouldn't have been able to use after the ban, so was within the "exception" rules.  Plus I do need a haircut.

Day 3 - Thursday 17th March 2011:

A.k.a: St. Patrick's Day.  Usually an alcohol-fuelled day of partying.  Not for me though.  I went out for lunch with my boyfriend (I'm a fatty, I know!) as he had been unable to join us for dinner the previous evening due to playing a hurling match.  He paid for most of it, so I contributed just £3.  We then went to the Dark Hedges and Bonamargy Friary and had a really lovely afternoon out that cost nothing, which was great.  In the evening I had to buy my dinner, as mum had went out for hers!  I spent £3.50 on that.

Day 4 - Friday 18th March 2011:

So far today I spent about £3 on breakfast and lunch, and £2.12 on posting my giveaway items to Laura.  I may have to get the bus home later this evening, as I seem to be the only eejit working today and all my usual lifts home are off! The bus costs £6 (total rip-off) and it pains me to pay that, but it is unavoidable.

Overall:

All my spending has been on food, really!  It doesn't seem like much per day, but added up, all the money mentioned above equals around £70, which is terrifying!  I will definitely be cutting down on the eating out though, which was the main problem on Wednesday, however that was because of the bank holiday and is certainly not a usual occurance.  Apart from the crazy food expenditure, I have found it easy so far.

I haven't had freebies coming through my postbox, like lucky Charli has!  Nonetheless I haven't found it too bad, and as I said, I felt guilty blowing so much money on dinner etc., when I shouldn't be spending.  I do have a lot more left in the bank than I usually do by Friday though, which is great!  I'm still waiting on my ASOS groupon purchases and my Avon order to arrive.  I have 3 £5 No.7 vouchers which expire during the ban, however I'm not in need of any cosmetics at the moment so I may not use them.

So that's how I've done so far, don't forget to see how Charli is doing! :)

5 comments:

dinoprincesschar said...

Oh I think you're doing really well with it - i would be hopeless! I'm only not spoending on a dress i fell for this morning as I can't afford it til payday, which is frustratign as the website has a promotion on it between now and sunday - argh! oh well..keep up the good work! :)

Hazel said...

Keep it up! Some spending is unavoidable so please don't beat yourself up about anything you do spent out on. You have to allow for a little a complete ban will drive you crazy and you'll go mad!
I could do with a little of this reduced spending myself...

daisychain said...

I think your spending sounds totally balanced and sensible,
I dread to think how much I waste on pointless things!

Charli said...

Yey I am so proud of us xx

Sophie - Country girl said...

i hate how much seemingly small amounts of money really add up. You're doing great, its a really good idea.
http://cgdn.blogspot.com/