Friday, 25 March 2011

Spending Ban... Update #2

Day 5 - Saturday 19th March 2011:

Day 5 was fairly easy.  I had a 2 hour driving lesson which was £40.  I didn't do anything that involved leaving the house after that so I didn't spend anything else :)

Day 6 - Sunday 20th March 2011:

Another day that didn't involve much activity (man I had a boring weekend) but I spent £1.60 on food!

Day 7 - Monday 21st March 2011:

On Monday I bought some things in Tesco for lunch which totalled £2.52.  I then got out of work early and had to go to the dentist.  A check-up, clean & polish and 2 X-Rays cost me £21.04 :(

Day 8 - Tuesday 22nd March 2011:

I spent about £5 on food this day.  I have realised that by going to Tesco on my lunch hour for food, which is the opposite direction to the town centre, I avoid the temptation of the clothes shops, plus I save money on lunch expenditure.  For example, the cheapest sandwich at the cafe I usually get food in is £2.60, but at Tesco I buy a pack of Ryvita or something that will last me a few days, plus fruit, so it works out much cheaper.

Day 9 - Wednesday 23rd March 2011:

My wages are usually in by Wednesday but not this week :( I spent £4.77 in Tesco in the morning on fruit and a multi-pack of granola bars.  On lunch break I went to the bank to deposit my wages and treated my self to a £2.29 sub of the day at Subway. I love Subway but it's too far away from work for me to use often.

Day 10 - Thursday 24th March 2011:

Wages are in!  At lunch time I bought some Superdrug nail polish remover at £1.39.  I also got 2 jars of Skin, Hair Nails supplements for £7 and 2 jars of evening primrose oil for £2.60 in Holland & Barrett 'penny sale' (buy one get the other for 1p).  I don't know if the supplements will work but I'm trying to stick with them and see!  I also got a sandwich this day for £2.60.  I gave my mum £20 housekeeping money, for which she was very grateful.  Still no sign of my Avon order :( I later bought the dreaded marshmallows for 89p (never again).



Day 11 - Friday 25th March 2011:

Today I spent £2.52 in Tesco on Snack-a-Jacks, hummous and a banana. 
(caramel Snack-a-Jack + peanut butter + banana - DO IT! And caramel Snack-a-Jack + vanilla ice cream + strawberry sauce too!).  I got a lift to work with my friend's mum, who usually gives me a lift at least once a week, and I tried to give her £20 petrol money... only to have my hand slapped away, and be told "Don't be silly! Go spend it on booze or something!" lol but I will try and spend it wisely!

Overall:

This week has been ok as I haven't had too much temptation.  Walking around Superdrug was quite hard but I just got in and out as quickly as possible to lessen the pain!  I really am realising though how much I spend on food, especially when I'm at work - £22.19 in total since Saturday! Wow.  Including the driving lesson, dentist and money to mum it totals £103.23... thank God I hopefully won't see the dentist again til September!  The driving lessons are so expensive , and I now have to up them to every week as my instructor wants me to get my test before they add a new element in June - eek.  So rather than save I think that all my extra cash will go towards driving for now. Oh fun.  That's one thing
Charli doesn't have to worry about!  Don't forget to see how she's getting on too!

8 comments:

Sophie - Country girl said...

You're doing really well. Food costs really add up, its ridiculous! Have to say your snack-a-jack combos made me feel slightly ill tho :s . Have a great but frugal weekend :)
http://cgdn.blogspot.com

dinoprincesschar said...

i tried to add up how much i spend on foood by going ot sainsburys at lunch and it's kninda scary.. i *try* to make food at home and bring it in, but i only usually manage it about 2 or 3 days a wk, mainly cos i never go food shopping.

ching said...

i enjoy spending on food at tesco's too.haha

daisychain said...

I am SO trying your snack a jacks suggestion, Mmm! I'm a bit addicted to their new curly snacks though.

Stacy said...

love it, so perfect

http://fashionhandglide.blogspot.com

FitznBitz said...

I'm actually so pissed off at that stupid fucking comment above mine......grrr

You really are keeping track aren't you!! Well done missus! What does evening primrose do for you?

xo

Imogen said...

I desperately need to go on a spending ban. I think it is great that you documented how well you are doing, it seems like it would help. I will probably try that soon and see if it works.

chicknamedhermia said...

Your dentist bill was SO cheap!! That would've cost me at least €100!