Thursday, 16 June 2011

A Few E.L.F Items

I bought these products a few weeks ago at least but haven't got round to talking about them, so I thought I should share my opinions!

It was one of the days that e.l.f were offering their free shipping deals when you spent £10 or more, and I was just in one of those moods when you neeeeeeed to buy something, whether it's necessary or not!  The items I got totalled £10 exactly, which isn't bad for four products!  Some turned out to be better than others, though!

e.l.f Studio Makeup Mist & Set:


This misting spray is for spritzing on your face after you've applied your make up, and claims to help boost radiance and keep your make up in place all day.  I bought this item because I've always wished that there was the equivalent of hairspray for your face!  For £3.50 I figured it was worth a try... and I'm glad I went for it!  It felt a bit weird at first, spraying my face after carefully doing my make up, I thought surely it would ruin it.  However this wasn't the case at all, it was a nice, cooling mist that dried quite fast and I do think it helped my make up stay put a bit longer than usual.  Two slight downsides, to me, are that even with my eyes closed they felt stingy for a minute after spraying this, but the sting didn't last or irritate my eyes.  The other downside for me is the smell; the main ingredients are Aloe, Green Tea and cucumber which I thought would smell light and refreshing, however I don't like the scent of this.  I don't hate it, but I just don't think it's the most pleasant smell for something you spray on your face!  Nonetheless, I will get (and have been getting) regular use out of this and will repurchase.

e.l.f Studio Eyebrow Lifter & Filler:

This is kind of an 'on the fence' item for me... at first I really didn't like it, but I thought I should persevere and give it a chance.  It is a chunky double sided pencil, one brown end for filling in your eyebrows and the other ivory end for drawing under your arch to provide lift and, I presume, a little highlighting effect.


I ordered the 'medium' shade brown in this, as I don't have dark brows but they're not really fair either, however this colour is too dark for me.  I have to use the brown end very lightly, with very small strokes, otherwise it is too dark and looks awful!  In hindsight the 'light' shade would probably have been better.  A few good points first - it has a sharpener in the plastic lid which is always handy.  Also, the filler doesn't feel like a pencil; it's more soft and has a waxy consistency.  This helps keep my brows in place better, which I like.  However the darkness of the brown really let's it down for me, as if I lean too hard or get it outside my brow it can be hard to remove.  I gave up on using the 'lifter' end - the colour is quite pink, and has the same waxy consistency as the filler, which makes it too obvious below my brow, and I find it very difficult to blend out.  Perhaps if this were more creamy than waxy it would be easier to soften the harsh pink line.  So a mixed review on that item, I may try it again in 'light' if this one ever gets used up!

e.l.f Blending Eye Brush:
*deep breath* I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it It's amazing, soft and lovely and only £1.50 - I like it better than the No.7 Blend and Contour brush that costs over 4 times the price! I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it GET IT!

e.l.f Eyebrow Stencil Kit:

This thing is pretty useless!!  I really hoped that it would help me shape my eyebrows, as they're slightly wonky and don't match very well!  The stencils are plastic, and you pop out the 'brow' shape and use the rest as a stencil... the plastic is too big though, and when trying to position it on my eyebrow, I ended up with loads of plastic covering my eye.  I couldn't tackle my brows while only having the vision of one eye, and after much faffing about I gave up on these.  They were only £1.50 so not a major loss but still a shame.  Someone suggested I trim them but I don't know if I'll even bother.  Has anyone else tried/succeeded/failed with these?!

Let me know if you've tried any of the above!  I do love getting a wee e.l.f order placed every so often so if you have any decent product suggestions let me know! :)

9 comments:

Leanne Marie said...

With the eyebrow shapers, why not try cutting some of the extra plastic off so it doesnt cover your eye? Then maybe you'll be able to use them easier. x

Charli said...

Id never use the eyebrow things because I think everyones eyebrows are different because everyones faces are different!

I feel the same about the blending brush :)

I like the mist&set spray too...

I wanted to try the lifter and filler but I might just stick to my elf eyebrow kit now!

Hazel said...

Your comment on the blending brush really made me chuckle :OD
I now know where to go when I need new brushes
x

FitznBitz said...

Do you think the finishing spray kept you make up in place for longer, or did you not test longevity of it? Might try it tho

nicsnotebook.com said...

Ah I had thought about getting the eyebrow kit - not any more lol..! Think I will get the eyeshadow brush def :) x

Susan said...

I've been wanting to try the Mist & Set spray for a while, (and keep forgetting to check out the reviews). I was going to go for the Urban Decay one but may give this a go first. Mainly as it's about a quarter of the price. x

*Zoe* said...

I think I'd better buy the blending brush after that review! x

SiSi Sparkles said...

I've been trying to find a less expensive alternative for a make up spray; I think I might have to check this elf one out. Thanx doll!

Vanessa Wilkinson said...

I found the blending brush too stiff and prefer the fluffy ones, but I use it for heavy duty blending like cream eyeshadows and black :)

I might get the mist.. is it okay for dry skin do you think??xxx