Saturday, 30 July 2011

Fundraising With Food

Happy Saturday all!

I have a food related post today. Last week a friend of mine decided that she wanted to hold a fundraiser to help the current crisis in Africa. She is one of the most considerate people I know and I was truly touched that she was taking the responsibility on herself to organise the event. She sent a message out to all her Facebook friends asking for help in some way; either donating clothes, books, DVDs etc. for the jumble sale, offering to face paint, bake buns to sell and so on.

My mum had recently done a clear out and so was able to contribute four bags of clothes, and I offered to make some buns for it. I then decided against buns because of transportation issues! Therefore, I thought traybakes would be the way forward.... Malteser Squares and homemade fudge. Winning. So I thought I would share the recipes with you.

I've used the fudge recipe before, after adapting it from a recipe I found on Cookie Baker Lynn's blog some time ago. The original recipe (click here) is for peanut butter fudge, which I love, but for a fundraiser I thought I would omit that, as peanut butter may not be to everyone's taste. Also, the original uses marshmallow creme, a product which is not readily available in the UK, so I made do with regular marshmallows! Be warned, as Lynn says, this stuff is addictive. And full of sugar. And you will gain half a stone by just looking at these pictures. (Sorry)

Homemade Fudge:

1.  Butter a pan (I used a 9 x 9 inch foil tray)


 2.  Combine sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan (I just used the largest in the house).


Bring to a full roiling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling over medium heat for five minutes, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. (I do not recommend attempting to take photos during this process. You will get splashed with boiling hot sugar and it is not fun! Believe me!)


3.  Remove from heat. Add the vanilla and marshmallows and beat until well blended and smooth.


4.  Pour the (very hot) mixture into your buttered tray and cool at room temperature. When cool, refrigerate until completely set.

5.  When firm cut in to squares.



Malteser Squares
(Recipe from Nigella's website)

1.  Melt together the butter, chocolate and syrup, then add the crushed digestive biscuits and the Maltesers.

2.  Mix together quickly then pour in to a lined swiss roll tin (again, I just a 9 x 9 inch foil tray). Chill until set the cut in to squares.

3.  For a special occasion drizzle with melted white chocolate.



As you can see, the photo-taking-during-fudge-making experience put me off taking photos for the traybakes; apologies! I hope you like these recipes, and if you make them please let me know! I hope they are getting a good reception at the fundraiser today.



8 comments:

ABarryMakeup said...

Thaaaaaank you!! :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Great job! They both look fabulous and I'm sure they'll be gobbled up at the fund raiser. Kudos to you for adapting the fudge recipe so well!

Mary ♥ Mur said...



I love your post and blog so much!!!.))

I need your help. I spend another survey but this time with another question.
"Where do you prefer to shop? What is your favorite shopping center?"

daisychain said...

oh hi there rumbly tum

Natasha said...

As you said I can feel myself gaining 10 pounds from looking at these photos. They look so good, especially the malteser ones. It's really nice that your friend is doing this fundraiser, the situation in Africa is drastic at the moment. xxx

Susan said...

Oh god, they both look soooo delicious, I'll definitely be trying them out :) xx

confessionsofamakeupaholic said...

Those malteser squares look amazing! Making me hungry just looking at them :)

Please may I? said...

They look so yummy! Not fair when I am meant to be on a diet!

X x