Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Shattered Eyeshadow Sorrow... and a Solution!

I store some of my palettes in a rack on top of my desk, on top of my nail polish storage boxes... last week, when trying to get some nail polish out, I lifted up the rack of palettes, and my MUA Pro Starry Night palette slipped out and went clattering to the ground. I'll be honest, this was entirely my own clumsy fault; the palette is too thin for the rack so it's not snugly gripped, and it had fallen out before without any damage. This time however, my luck ran out...


I was devastated! I had only used this palette once, and hadn't even used the colour that smashed, sad times. I set the palette aside (so it was lying flat) while I pondered what I should do.  Then the other day, I remembered that I had seen a Klaire de Lys video recently about mending broken eye shadows, so I quickly got on to YouTube to find it again. I thought it seemed easy enough and was worth a try, so I went to Boots today and got some surgical spirit (it was about £4.50) and a dropper (99p). These were the main tools for the operation...


I put a few drops of the surgical spirit on to the eye shadow, until it seemed slightly soft and mushy, then used a 1p coin wrapped in some clean muslin cloth to press it down... et voilà


You can honestly barely tell that it was once in such an awful state! I think a tissue would have worked even better, as it would give a better finish to the shadow, but I am honestly so pleased with the result that I don't care! It maybe seems a bit mental spending over £5 to fix a palette that cost £4, but I now have the tools for any future make up breakages, and I went on a little make up mending spree when I saw how well it worked...

FCUK Bronzer - yes, you can see the coin marks, but the entire top corner
had been totally broken, so this is a huge improvement!
Dark purple eye shadow from 120 Pro Palette - had previously been in several
pieces. I used a 5p coin for this one.

Miners Sun Blushed Duo - my mum dropped this last week and it was literally in smithereens!
I used the base of a Yankee candle to press it! It's not pretty but at least I can get more use of it now.
I also fixed a broken eyeshadow for mum and she was very pleased too. So I would like to say a huge thank you to Klaire and her extremely useful and helpful tip!  Do keep this in mind for your broken powders ladies, it really works!

6 comments:

Sophie - Country girl said...

thats really impressive! I wouldn't have believed it was so possible.

To Blush, or not to Blush? said...

That's pretty amazing! I have been lucky enough to not have broken anything yet, but now that I've said that I'm sure it will happen soon enough.

Jenny said...

wow thanks for this post! lord knows how many smashed palettes i have hahah...

aprettyobsession said...

This is fantastic I will def be using this trick in the future thanks a million

Hazel said...

It is amazing the tips you can pick up from blogs.
Last week I found a tutorial that showed you how to make your own hair doughnut from a sock. I'd always found shop brought ones too big but now I have my very own mini version.
I'll def keep this handy hint in mind too. I always manage to break the ones I use the most.

Kezzie said...

Wow! That's really useful and clever. Thank you (and to Klaire!)