Friday, 28 October 2011

Sally Hansen Effects Real Nail Polish Strips

I arrived home from work one day this week to find that the Sally Hansen fairy had paid a visit to my letterbox. One of the best kind of fairies, you must agree?

I received two of the Real Nail Polish Strips to try. They claim to help you acheive "salon results at home". I decided to go for this black and white hounds tooth design, called Check It Out as it was the less glittery of the two, and so more work appropriate. Save the sparklers for an occasion, ye know?


In the packet you get two packs of 8 strips, a mini orange stick, a mini nail file with 3 uses, and the instructions.

I'd hoped to take photos of the process and progress of my application; while this seemed a great idea in theory, in practice, with sticky strips hanging off one's nails and no one to assist as photographer, alas, it could not be done.

But the good news is that the process was relatively easy. I had really thought I would make a mess of it, but they turned out very well. You simply work on one nail at a time, select the most size appropriate strip, remove the backing and plastic, carefully apply it to your nail, smooth down and file away the excess. Then you have perfect nail polish!


The instructions were clear and easy to follow, the results are impressive, and you don't have to wait for polish to dry at all. My only negatives about it are that it did create a lot of mess from peeling off the plastic and backing bits, and I did struggle to find strips that were a good fit for my nails in the selection provided, but then I have quite narrow nails so that could be just me!


These got plenty of comments and compliments in work today! Even a girl in a shop commented on them and everyone asked how it did them!

It didn't say anything in the instructions about applying a top coat, so I didn't. I thought this would also help test the longevity, as they claim to have "ten day staying power"... Less than 24 hours later I had slight chipping (well, it's more like peeling, really!) on three nails. This, the next time I use these I will definitely use top coat for extra durability. Though to be fair, not many manicures could withstand a frantic shoe trying-on session in Primark, during lunch hour, on national pay day. It is an experience that I would never recommend.


These however, I most definitely recommend! There are nine shades available, featuring metallics and patterns. In the Republic of Ireland they retail for €8.95, which I reckon is around £8.00 - much less than a manicure in a salon. They would be fantastic for special occasions when you want perfection and know that you might need a little hand. You won't be able to stop looking at your perfect nails.... believe me!

4 comments:

Zee said...

Houndstooth pattern is my guilty pleasure... Your nails look amazing. But I reckon I'm too cack handed to spend £8 on something that I'm more than likely going to muck up :(

daisychain said...

Oh wow, love these!

Caroline said...

They sound nice and easy to apply. I love the houndstooth pattern! x

cornflakegirl said...

Looks great.