Thursday, 5 January 2012

2012 Reading Challenge

As you may, or may not know, I love reading. Always have, always will. I've always had a "What I'm Reading" box in the right hand side bar of my blog, which I try to keep updated. Whether anyone notices or gives a hoot is another story but it reminds me to pick up a book if I am lagging, and sometimes it was shameful how infrequently it needed updated throughout 2011.

Now that I have my beloved Kindle, which my fantastic boyfriend got me for Christmas, it should, technically, be much easier for me to read more this year. I have already downloaded some books, and have started the New Year off with Jane Eyre, which I haven't read since I did GCSE English, and I certainly didn't appreciate or enjoy it back then.

So I have created a new Reading Challenge page at the top of my blog, where I will have lists of books... a list of what is currently on my Kindle, books that I would like to read, and any other book related list that takes my fancy! I can add to it, tick books off as I go along, and so keep track of my progress. Perhaps I will do a monthly round up of what I read. I dunno, I'm easy, let's see where this goes...

I have an overall aim to read, if possible, 60 BOOKS this year... that is a slightly scary number, as it is more than one a week, but as Sophie said, aim high, shoot low! If I hit 50 I will still be pleased. I have also joined Goodreads, where I can rate and review books as I go along too.

So, there we have it! I will start my list here, but for future updates, check out the Reading Challenge page...

Books on my Kindle...


Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë (currently reading)
Always Looking Up - Michael J. Fox
Dead Simple - Peter James
Drowning Rose - Marika Cobbold
The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton
A Life for A Life (Parish & Richards 1) - Tim Ellis
The Wages of Sin (Parish & Richards 2) - Tim Ellis
The Flesh is Weak (Parish & Richards 3) - Tim Ellis
The Shadow of Death (Parish & Richards 4) - Tim Ellis

Oh, and don't forget to let me know of any good books or recommendations you might have! :)

11 comments:

FitznBitz said...

I need to read more. I can never seem to "find the time" which is actually a bit ridic!

Sophie - Country girl said...

i would love to take part in a reading challenge but I know that I'd only be setting myself up to fail, time not available. At school I was such an avid reader, I really loved reading whatever I could get my hands on. Now reading is only done on holidays sadly. Good luck with this challenge :D

Hazel said...

I love this idea. I've just read a post on Ramblings of a Roachling - she read 75 (75!!!) in 2011. I wanted to read more last year but with moving house I simply didn't find the time. Good luck with this. I'd be interested to see what you read. I'm starting with Great Expectations this year. I'll definitely be re reading Jane Eyre too!

Imogen said...

Happy new year. Good luck with the reading challenge. Kindles are great, so many people in my family received kindles this Christmas.

dinoprincesschar said...

i absolutely love my kindle, but i also still read actual books, i got both kinddlestore vouchers and books for christmas :)
i love to read, and have started to try and review some of the books i read as i finish them as a way of keeping track of what i've liked and read..
i've not set myself any challenges in terms of numbers though..

daisychain said...

I love reading so much, my kindle is a wonder but I also love real books. Have you reaad The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? A must read.

x

Belle du Brighton said...

Have you heard of good reads? (www.goodreads.com) its perfect for keeping track of what you're reading and gives you ideas of other things you might like based on what you read... and also it has a blog thingy that you can whack on your blog to show people what youre reading, mine is somewhere near the bottom I think. If you join then add me as a friend on there, my profile is: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5415858-lauren-k-p

♥mldvs said...

Good luck with this, so jealous of your kindle! xx

Dawniepants said...

Brilliant! I had hoped to see a post like this from you. Hope it makes those commutes a little bit easier :)

dp

The Agoraphobic Fashionista said...

Jane Eyre was one of the first classics I downloaded for my Kindle at Christmas along with heaps more!
Since then I've popped nearly 300 books on there all of which I fully intend to read. Since the new year started I've finished 2 books :D
It feels great to be back into reading again, the kindle is so handy!
My ocd-ness always hated the left page of a book - with a vengeance! lol plus it makes drinking tea and eating a ripple whilst reading possible *teehee*
Hope you get some quality reading time, books are our best friends!
hope to take a look through your list and maybe even get some more ideas for myself! xxx

Charlotte said...

You've inspired me to start reading again! After A-Level english lit I didn't read a book for monthsss but I've really missed it! X