Wednesday, 1 February 2012

DIY: Depotting Stuff

I am currently on the lookout for an affordable lipstick palette that I can use in my 'kit' (still sounds weird saying that) and am having no luck. However, when I picked up two colour corrector sticks in Boots, I knew I wanted to depot them, so that they would be more hygienic to use. I remembered this video about DIY Lipstick Palettes by MakeUpGeek.

Obviously, you can simply cut the product out of the stick and mush it in to a palette or container; simple. However, I am a bit OCD about things and to me that would just look a mess and would annoy me. The method of melting the product seemed much tidier. So, I decided to try it out on the colour corrector sticks. These Natural Collection ones are £1.99 each or 3 for £5 so it's not going to break the bank if it goes wrong! I wouldn't like to attempt it with a more expensive product until I was sure it was ok.

So you need:
*  Your colour corrector / concealer / lipstick / whatever product you want to depot
*  A container to hold the product (I got a pot from Superdrug for 99p)
*  A candle
*  A spoon


1) Remove product from it's stick/original container. I didn't want to use a knife, as I was already vandalising my mother's silver service spoon, so I used a clean kirby grip/hair clip to slice the stick. There was also a bit left in the stick which I was able to poke out using the hair grip.


2) Hold the spoon containing the product over a lit candle and wait. I was melting two of these at once and it only took a few minutes to melt completely. It is also worth noting that a silver service spoon is massive; had I been using a normal sized spoon I would have to melt one at a time!


3) Once the product is totally melted, pour in to the container and that's it! It takes five minutes to cool and set completely. Easy or what!


I noticed in the video comments some furore about this melting method actually causing damage to the plastic lipstick palettes, rendering them useless for future lipsticks as the plastic distorts and shrinks. This pot was not affected at all, however I would be cautious if using a plastic palette. I can't comment as to whether melting the stick has affected the consistency of the product at all, as I haven't used it yet, but it doesn't appear to have altered.

I hope you find this interesting, or even useful! I was all pleased with my new pot of colour corrector!

8 comments:

aprettyobsession said...

Brilliant I depotted my NYX pencils recently and they went a bit dodge when they dried so might use this method to make them neater - I am also a bit OCD with my make up

FitznBitz said...

Oh so much nicer than other people squished messy ones!! Great post!

Confessions Of A Makeupaholic said...

What a great idea! I will definately have to give this a go. It looks much better than the other method x

♥mldvs said...

This is such a good idea, and it's so neat! xx

Sophie - Country girl said...

looks like a great method :) x

Claire said...

I think WH Smith do kids paint palettes that are good for depotting lip etc products.

Sara said...

Those wee Natural Collection green concealers are a total godsend for my Irish skin. Love them. Nearly had a breakdown when I thought they'd been discontinued a few years ago.

Claire Louise McLaughlin said...

Never thought to melt the make up before I put it in the pot lol must try that soon :)