Saturday, 4 February 2012

New Make Up Storage

I don't intend this as a make up collection post by any means; just showing you some new storage bits I got in the last week or two! I recently got a new dressing table for my bedroom, so I wanted to tidy everything up more. I had previously been storing my make up in this case:
Please note that the above photo is very old; ignore any rubbish make up I previously used!
I love how my nail varnishes used to fit in this case too - now they're housed in eight Glossy Boxes!
However, my make up was beginning to overflow from this and I wanted to invest in some nice acrylic storage, so that I could use the case exclusively for my MUA kit. So I researched acrylic storage solutions and here's what I chose...

I saw that Leanne had tweeted about these drawers from Homebase a while back, so I hunted them down! They're actually an acrylic paper sorter, but they do the same job. They aren't cheap at £20.99 but I suppose that's not too expensive either. I had actually reserved the last 2 sets in my nearest shop, but when I went to collect them, one set (which had obviously been the display set) was all dusty and 2 of the drawers were stuck! So I only came home with one but it turned out that one was just the right size for most of my collection. It was, however, too big for my new dressing table! It took up so much space, so I have it on a shelf beside the table.

I also picked up this tumbler glass in Homebase, for some of my make up brushes. It was a steal at £1.99, although slightly smaller and shallower than I would have liked. I must be rather fussy, because I looked around so many shops at glasses and candle holders, and couldn't find one to satisfy me, so this was a compromise!

This cosmetics organiser, would you believe, was the most expensive item of the lot! A whopping £27! Majorly overpriced if you ask me, but I am in love with it. There were smaller ones available for around £15 but they just didn't seem big enough, and now that I have this, I am glad I went for it. My mum is eyeing this up now, too! I keep all my everyday make up in this organiser, plus some extra lipsticks, and of course the make up will be on rotation every Sunday for my weekly Make Up Shake Up!
OK, so the above isn't make up storage, but it used to be! I had previously stored my make up brushes in this vase, stuck in to black sand (vase and sand from Au Naturale, RIP) just like all the cool kids on YouTube, but I was getting very fed up with it, as the brushes always fell over and just looked messy. So now the vase is a lovely decorative feature! LED twigs (£2.99) and sparkly thingymabob (£1.49)  from B&M Bargains, black ribbon from December Glossy Box.

Finally, most of my palettes, plus small No.7 mirror, now live in the December Joliebox; it is the ideal, compact size, and fits in with my black and white themed bedroom perfectly!

I love it when a plan comes together!

14 comments:

Miss LV said...

I love being nosey and looking at how people store their makeup! I love the cosmetics organiser, Ive wanted one for a while but your right they are pretty expensive for what they are x x x

http://miss-lv.blogspot.com/

Beauty Fiend said...

i had one of those make up vanity cases but was stupid and put it in my dishwasher to clean it and it got ruined haha
x

Catherine said...

I love the cosmetic organiser but it does seem expensive, but I like how you can see all yourlipsticks and things a lot easier :D x

Leanne Marie said...

Yay glad you found them! I was going to get the smaller drawers originally but got to homebase and saw the bigger ones! I actually got an acrylic desktop organiser which is really similar to yours minus the spaces for lipsticsks (also homebase!)

I should do a makeup storage post at one piont really, considering mine has been fairly organised for a while!


xx

Leanne Woodfull said...

You probs would of been able to get cheaper ones on ebay tbh! Looks great :)

Hazel said...

Now you've got me thinking... My make up is all over the place! I tend to wear pretty much the same make up day after day, which probably has a lot to do with the fact that the rest of it is hidden or in a messy pile in a drawer. Perhaps I should join you in the make up, shake up... and invest in an organiser.

Belle du Brighton said...

I love organising and re arranging my makeup, but it never, ever lasts!
This looks uber organised though, so i hope you are better at keeping neat and tidy than I am!

RocoLondon said...

I love the cosmetics organiser, but they are pretty expensive , it´s true.

Sophie - Country girl said...

I love how neat everything is now looking, all lovely and organised. I don't think my makeup could be messier if I actually threw it at the dresser...ooops.

Eloise said...

Love these storage type posts, I don't have enough to really get a massive storage space sorted but as a bit of an organised obsessive I like to nose!

xx

daisychain said...

these look like a great idea! My makeup is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Wots her name again? said...

Great blog! I’m currently researching different ways to efficient store my cosmetics

http://wotshernameagain.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/Wotshernameagai

Laura said...

you have made me realise how much i need better storage.. i literally have a (a very messy) drawer xo
cupsofteaandbeautybits.blogspot.com

Kimmy DA said...

I have just discovered the paper sorter on the homebase website and after seeing your image of it and how much it stores, I can't wait to purchase it.