Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Maybelline Eye Studio Colour Tattoo 24Hr

Of course I had to go and track these down as soon as I was anywhere near a Superdrug! These are the new cream/gel shadows from Maybelline, which have been out in the USA and Canada for several months now, while the UK and Ireland have eagerly awaited their arrival! Finally they're here, although the shades have different names from their US/Can counterparts, and not all the shades have been released. Typical!

I have to say, the selection in my local shop was limited; the only shades left in stock were these, On and On Bronze and Eternal Gold, and the turquoise one which I wasn't too keen on.
I really like the simple packaging of these, however the little glass jars are quite heavy and bulky, with a thick, false bottom. Perhaps the thick bottom to the jar is for sturdiness' sake, but it does add extra weight and is deceiving as to how much product is inside!
Consistency wise, I would say that these are more on the gel side, although they are slightly creamy. They glide on to the eye effortlessly and blend easily - I use a brush for hygiene reasons, however if you're going to be the only one using it, a finger would probably suffice. Once these set, they're there for the long haul! They make brilliant eye shadow bases, and can be used on their own or as a liner too. I got about 8 hours' wear out of On And On Bronze before any creasing appeared (I hadn't used any primer under it or powder on top) which I found very impressive.

Eternal Gold
This is a very yellow based gold, with plenty of shimmer, which I think is a bit too stark on its own, for my eyes anyway! The shimmer is very fine, not chunky glitter, which is great. I like this as an eyeshadow base for some of the Naked and Naked2 palette shades, and I think it would look lovely used as an eyeliner. 

On And On Bronze
Out of the two shades, this is definitely my favourite! A rather taupe toned bronze, with a gorgeous shimmer. Again, it makes a great eyeshadow base, but is also gorgeous on its own. As mentioned above, I wore this on its own all day, from 8am - 7pm, with no primer, and slight creasing appeared around 4pm. I thought it was a flattering colour on my blue eyes, and it looked like I had made a proper effort with my make up, when all I'd done was put this all over the eyelid, slightly above the crease and blended! Easy peasy everyday smoky eye!
I don't know whether these would last 24 hours as they claim to, I wouldn't want to try it, personally! Perhaps it is more of a tag line to impress customers? However, here is the bronze shade on my eyelids after almost 11 hours of wear. You can see the slight creasing, but I think it's impressive nonetheless!


These retail at £4.99, which I think is an absolute bargain! They are comparable to MAC Paint Pots in that they make great eyeshadow bases, although the Paint Pots are, I think, creamier, while these are more gel-like. Hhowever I honestly can't compare them more extensively than that!

Price wise, I don't think there's any question though.... and seeing as these are currently on 3 for 2 offer in both Boots and Superdrug, well, let's just say I'll probably own the turquoise shade, and hopefully a few others, soon enough!

Have you had any luck tracking down the Colour Tattoos?! I believe they are quite the Scarlett Pimpernel!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I got the exact same two! I wanted to get another to take advantage of the 3 for 2 offer, but they only had turquoise as well, which is hardly a day-time colour :P i did see the carbon colour in stock today but it wasn't as nice as the gold and bronze so i think i might just stick to the two i have! xxxx

Hazel said...

Well these look like something that will soon be in my make up collection *grabs purse and heads to Boots*

Sophie - Country girl said...

love the look of on and on bronze, a lovely shade. They seem to have proved their longevity, but why would anyone want 24 hour wear,lol!

Sara said...

These look lovely, I'm excited to get my hands on them come pay day. Not bad for 11 hours wear, I wonder what they'd be like with UDPP underneath...

LoubouLush said...

They look great, especially the taupe shade. Will keep my eye out for them as I haven't got around to getting the MAC paint pots yet :)