Wednesday, 2 May 2012

DIY: Depotting Urban Decay Primer Potion

I know I am not the only person to complain about the old packaging of Urban Decay Primer Potion! Really, what was the thinking behind that design? Thankfully, the new packaging is much more user-friendly and means less wasted product but if, like me, you have some Primer Potion in the old packaging that you think is on the last dregs, it is well worth giving this a shot...


I got this mini Primer Potion with my Naked Palette when I bought it last May. I did get plenty of use out of this little bottle, but recently it seemed to have given up the ghost and hardly any product would come out on the wand. So off I went to good old YouTube and watched some Primer Potion depotting videos. The next day I had a bash at it myself!

You can bascially tell from the above photo what I did - removed the stopper from the top of the bottle, and chopped off the bottom! I used pincers to extract the stopper, but I reckon a pair of tweezers would do the trick too as it was easy to remove. You can then scoop more than usual out of the top of the bottle. It was rather slow-going though, so I brought out the big guns... or should I say big kitchen knife?


Let's ignore the moment when my horrified mother noticed me hacking the arse off the bottle and cried "That's the knife I use to cut sandwiches!". It isn't relevent. I don't think you have to use a knife that is specifically good for sandwich cutting. Just any knife with a big blade will do. The bottom came off fairly easily too. Use a mat or chopping board though.


As I didn't have a spatula-like implement small enough, I just used the primer potion wand to scoop out the remaining contents. There was a LOT more than I thought left in that wee bottle! Check it out...


The contents filled this little pot completely! There was lots of primer gathered at the very bottom of the bottle where the wand couldn't reach it, plus loads in the bulbous middle part. I measured the contents and I got 3mls in to this pot. That is 3mls out of a 3.7ml bottle?! Granted, the scales might round up to the nearest whole number, but they are electronic scales and very accurate!


Either way, I got way more primer out of this bottle than I had expected, and it is going to last me a long time! I was very pleased. So if you have one of these ridiculously shaped bottles of primer potion that you thought was finished, make sure you try this first as you might just be surprised!


8 comments:

Izzy Duder said...

I shall definitely be doing that this weekend! My mini primer potion has nearly run out, but unfortunately I just threw away my full size one a few months back :( thanks for a great post!
isabella xo

Claire said...

Wow, it never even crossed my mind so much could be left in the bottle! I thought mine was almost finished but I'll have to get hacking at it soon - thanks for this post :)

Jess said...

Wow thats a lot of product! I've got a big version of this, I know what I'm doing tomorrow night :D

Jess
xxx

http://sugar-and-sparkle.blogspot.co.uk/

Jesss said...

Your mum's reaction to your knife choice did make me laugh, she sounds just like my mum.
It's amazing how much stuff you can waste without even realising, I'm always hacking tubes open hah!

xo

LoubouLush said...

Ha your Mum's comment made me laugh too. Great idea. I'm so wasteful with products as it is I need to try stuff like this!

Secret Blogger said...

I'm nearly at the end of a bottle, but perhaps I'm not. Will hack my bottle to bits too.


C
xxx

Sophie - Country girl said...

Way more than half would have been binned. What a daft design bottle in the first place.

Charlotte said...

It's crazy how much is still left inside there :o X