Tuesday, 22 May 2012

DIY: Storage Pots & Jars

I recently made these little storage pots and jar for my room, and I really like them so I thought I would share them with you. They are so easy to make and cost very little, and hopefully it will give someone else some DIY inspiration!

Basically, it all started when I needed more storage for my make up brushes. There were simply too many for the glass tumbler I was storing them in. I started using a large ornamental mug but it was just to big for my liking and I wanted something tidier looking. So I thought I could make my own.


I asked my mum to keep a tin for me to reuse next time she opened one. She kindly kept me two; a large one (may have once housed peas, I'm not sure) and a little one that had stored tomato purée. She also washed them for me - bonus of having a kind mammy.

It took me a while to find a decorative paper that I liked and that suited my black and white bedroom! I looked in card shops at the sheets of wrapping paper, and most of the black and white sheets said "Happy Birthday" and other such messages on them. I eventually found a suitable design in Card Factory, which had no writing. I think the sheet cost around 40p.


I probably don't even need to tell you what to do next! Lie your tin sideways on the paper, and measure how much you need to wrap the whole way around the tin. Mark and cut out your required paper. Height wise, I left enough paper to tuck in at the top of the tin so as to cover any sharp edges. Then I just used Pritt Stick glue all over the paper, and then carefully wrapped the tin with it as smoothly as I could, ensuring the paper was flush along the bottom of the tin.


Then put whatever you want in your new storage pot! I keep big make up brushes in the large pot and eyeliners and such in the small one.


I then finished up a jar of peanut butter and decided I would do something with it too! I just drew around the lid, and cut out a circle about 1 inch larger in diameter than the lid itself. I used a glue gun this time, as the Pritt Stick just wasn't cutting it, and the paper would not adhere to the plastic.


I stuck the paper on the flat top of the lid first, then made snips about 1cm apart the whole way around the excess paper, so that they would fold down over the side of the lid neatly. Make sure that you have enough paper so that you can tuck some under the edge of the lid too.


That was really all I did! The jar is handy for storing cotton buds and matches my other pots too. Nothing like cheap and cheerful DIY! Have you made anything lately? Link me if you have, I love DIY posts!



5 comments:

Sophie - Country girl said...

oooh, so creative, I love these! Quite brilliant indeed :) x

DawnieP said...

great idea!

dp
x

Aine O'hagan said...

awsome idea!!

Heather said...

This is absolutely genius!! such a good idea, i'll have to give it a go :D xxxx

kia said...

I love this, such a good idea! The cotton bud is my fav :) x