Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Meet Daysy

In my last post about coming off hormonal birth control I mentioned that I might do a follow up post about what I am doing regarding contraception now. Well, here it is - meet Daysy!


"What on earth is that?!", you might be thinking - and I don't blame you, as a few months ago I would have thought the same myself! This little gadget is a fertility monitor that you use every morning to take your temperature, and it then shows your current fertility status. Your basal body temperature rises slighty after you ovulate, so after using Daysy for a few months she will have an accurate knowledge of your cycle, and based on your temperature in the morning she will then give you either a green light (meaning you are infertile) or a red light (meaning that you are fertile) for that day. She might also give you a yellow light, which means she is either still learning about your cycle (I am getting all yellow lights at the minute) or there has been an unexpected temperature fluctuation, so you should abstain or use a barrier method. Of course, if you are planning to get pregnant then the Daysy is also a very useful tool for that, too!



If you are a natural sceptic like me, you may be wondering just how accurate this will be. Basically, it is a high-tech version of the Fertility Awareness Method (NOT the same as the Rhythm Method!) in which you chart your basal body temperature, plus other signs such as cervical fluid, to gauge your fertile window. However Daysy does your temperature charting for you; there is also a DaysyView app you can download for your mobile and you can sync your device with that. According to the Daysy website, it is 99.3% accurate. This is around the same rate as the pill and the implant, which are both 99% effective, if used correctly in the case of the pill. 

I will report back with my thoughts and findings about Daysy in a few months, after I have had a few cycles of use. If it is something you might be interested in, I highly recommend doing plenty of research, like I did, and reading a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler which should, quite frankly, be a must read for anyone with a uterus! At the end of the day it's your body and you have to do what you're happy with. Right now for me, that is being as free from artificial hormones and chemicals as possible!

Have you tried FAM or a fertility monitor before, or is it something you would consider?

4 comments:

Jozefien said...

I've been wanting to stop hormonal birth control for a while now, not knowing what to use instead.

Your article was really interesting to read, I immediately started doing some research about it but to be honest, I think I would live with constant fear of getting pregnant. I would like my doctor to tell me it's safe to use, because, when can you be sure of what you read online? :( How did you get convinced? :-)

Lauren said...

Hi @Jozefien - to be honest, I am still not 100% convinced haha! But I hope to be in a few months time :) Once I started reading 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' it really opened my eyes to how the female reproductive system works and how we are not able to get pregnant every day of the month. There is a fine tuned system in place that means there really only is about 6 days per month that result in pregnancy. Also there is a Daysy facebook page and provate group which are really helpful and have loads of women who have been using their monitors for much longer, successfully. I hope that helps!

Marienne said...


A 2013 review of available scientific literature since the 80s (in the Osteopathic Journal of Medicine) found that the overall effectiveness of fertility awareness methods is 95% *when used correctly.* But the "sympto-thermal method" in which you measure basal body temperature by mouth daily, check cervical fluid texture daily, and chart it all on a calendar is 99.4% effective when used correctly. This is taught in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and is a similar effectiveness as birth control.

Does the Daysy only measure basal body temperature by mouth? If so, I wouldn't rely on it as birth control if avoiding pregnancy is important.

Lauren said...

Hi @Marienne - your comment is a bit contradictory, as you say that the Fertility Awareness Method is anywhere between 95 - 99.4% effective, but then you say you wouldn't rely on it as birth control?

Yes the Daysy measures BBT by mouth and also has an internal memory which contains the info of thousands of women's menstrual cycles, which it uses in its algorithms to calculate fertility for that day. And as mentioned in the post, it will give you mostly yellow and red days for the first few months as it accurately learns your cycle. The yellow and red lights mean that the user can either abstain or use condoms for extra peace of mind if getting pregnant is not an option. The very low failure rate is part of the reason I decided to get it, and although not necessary when using Daysy I am also checking cervical fluid and currently doing ovulation tests to check my cycle as my body gets used to being hormone free! The Facebook group has many women who have been using it as birth control successfully for months or even a year plus :)